Log in

What's with all of the penalty reviews?

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
  • Monday, February 04, 2019 1:19 PM
    Reply # 7146095 on 7146036
    Anonymous wrote:

    A couple of years ago, the Big Ten changed their rules to say that the video board could show the same replays the officials are reviewing, at least in football.  We may not understand the judgement, but at least we know what the officials are looking at.

    It's a transparency that eliminates some of the discord.

    Exactly. The video replay won’t magically solve everything and there are penalties that aren’t going captured on camera, but that is happening now.  You go with the on ice call in that case, which is no different than what happens now. 

    A larger test is what happens when the camera shows “something” but not definitively. WAS the contact a hit to the head, if the replay is  from a bad camera angle? But most times the camera will be pretty definitive and there won’t be a lot of room for argument. Not showing any replays because 1 out of 20 might be questionable is letting the exception overpower the normal. 

    Physically seeing that a ref is usually right would build trust that the refs don’t have it in for your team. The people who don’t believe the replay already don’t believe the refs, you’re not losing anyone there. 

  • Monday, February 04, 2019 6:58 PM
    Reply # 7146848 on 7132010
    Anonymous wrote:

    All it requires is someone reading the NCAA Rulebook.

    It might not help in the immediate term, but if it bothers you enough that you think about it the next day -- look it up!

    There were roughly 6500 people Saturday who thought that the fix was in on the kneeing/5 minute major penalty. After the major was announced there were still 6500 who thought it was,  to try to put it charitably, an extremely bad call. Especially since the UMD player didn't miss a shift. I think he was back on the ice for the face off at the start of the penalty . Lots and lots of comments around me of A) he was faking and B) the refs were looking for any excuse to call penalties against UNO. Why? Because they didn't see the penalty and they don't know the rules.

    I don't know the rule. The UMD players injury, or lack of it, must not factor into it. Why was it a 5 minute major but NOT a game DQ? I don't know. And even if I HAD known the actual rule broken, it happened away from where the puck already was and I was following that. I didn't see the penalty live. Of course, I didn't see it in replay either. Nor did I hear an explanation about it other than kneeing nor why they were able to review it when a penalty (evidently) wasn't originally called at all. 

    You may know that everything was above board. How many other people in the arena know the rules well enough to make an educated evaluation? 20? 30? I'm talking in the stands, not up in the press box or even behind the cameras. Lets use a multiplier, and say 20 times the number of people I guessed actually know. That's still only 600 people, and I doubt anywhere near that many actually know.

    In pro football, when there is a penalty review the ref frequently gives a short 4 or 5 sentence explanation, with the players number, what the foul was, and especially if it is an unusual call a few details of why it was called. And the replays are shown on the jumbo-trons.  Hockey would benefit from having its rules explained in a similar way and right after the penalty was called.

    You're not going to get 6000 plus people to buy and read a rule book, especially if they need to buy a new one every year because of changes, and even if you did, they wouldn't remember a lot of the rules that only happen occasionally. You want people to respect the call? Tell them and show them when the call is being announced on ice.


  • Monday, February 04, 2019 7:01 PM
    Reply # 7146883 on 7146095
    Anonymous wrote:

    My hope is that the officiating settles into a groove, officials start to call games more consistently, penalties aren’t called after the fact, and the ebb-and-flow of games can return to normal. 

    Settles into a groove?!  It's the last third of the season haha!  But I agree.  Unfortunately the "ebb and flow" is gone forever.  Now that replay has entered probably every sport, ebb and flow is history.  Everybody is so afraid of being offende.....errr I mean wrong, that they'll go to every end to make sure every call is right.  There is some virtue in that, but I long for the days when calls were final the second the refs arm goes up (or doesn't go up).   

     

    Anonymous wrote:

    Not showing any replays because 1 out of 20 might be questionable is letting the exception overpower the normal. 

    It is that 1 in 20 that I was saying they will do whatever it takes to avoid.  I don't mind not seeing the video.  I also don't mind not hearing an explanation, as I could typically tell you what the call was for.  And I don't listening to banter around questioning what the call was for.  But I could see some merit in a short explanation.  I just get tired of all the stoppages, so having a replay itself let alone an explanation to go with it, is too much.  You're wrecking the ebb and flow!!


  • Monday, February 04, 2019 7:07 PM
    Reply # 7146886 on 7012323

    You make a compelling argument Ed.  I have always seen your point throughout this thread.  I just don't like explanations, but I could handle it and would (hopefully) alleviate some of the nonsense I hear from around me.

  • Tuesday, February 05, 2019 10:22 AM
    Reply # 7148044 on 7012323

    We're missing a couple of points.

    • They showed the replay of the Smallidge hit on Dipietro. It wasn't until I watching from 'home' that I saw the penalty. It was a legit call.
    • The NCAA Hockey Rulebook is available as a free download in .pdf format online from the NCAA.
    • College football is a different animal than college hockey. A Michigan football game is going to get full network coverage - likely in excess of 20 cameras. College hockey gets closed-circuit coverage - the number of cameras is maybe 6. 
  • Friday, February 08, 2019 10:40 PM
    Reply # 7154771 on 7012323

    Was that so hard?

  • Saturday, February 09, 2019 7:22 AM
    Reply # 7155087 on 7153961
    Anonymous wrote:

    Rule Books:
    http://www.ncaapublications.com/c-74-ice-hockey.aspx

    Nov. 26, 2018 Revisions:
    http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018-19PRMWIH_Rules_Update_20181126.pdf 

    2018-19 Major Rule Changes:
    http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/SEPT2018MWIH_2018_Ice_Hockey_Major_Rules_Changes_20180904.pdf

    2018-19 Points of Emphasis:
    http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/SEPT2018MWIH_2018-19%20_POINTS_of_EMPHASIS_20180904.pdf


    For almost any repair, how-to, or explanation of “why” you can find both manuals and videos explaining the subject.  Guess which one is more popular online? Videos, because they show you . The added advantage in this case is that you’re not watching Garage Joe give his explanation, which may be totally wrong, and you aren’t left to interpret what a legal sounding paragraph means. You would be watching the actual play in question along with the people who decide and enforce the rules telling you why, things a book can’t give you. Rules not only change, but interpretation of those rules can change with little or no modifications of the actual phrases defining that rule  so explanations are going to be more on point in a video than a rule book .



    Last modified: Saturday, February 09, 2019 7:26 AM | Anonymous member
  • Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:37 PM
    Reply # 7157050 on 7012323

    Let's have a white out.  Print all these materials and place them on each seat before the next game.   

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software