Proctor has said (to people we know) that he is coming back.
Sullivan and Randl — I know that the coaching staff would really like them back.
(According to Sullivan's Insta account, he is in Cabo this week, so he's obviously not in any hurry to go pro — and I don't see him wanting to transfer to another school.)
Possible transfer portal players?
>> Cam Mitchell
>> Michael Abgrall
I could be wrong on Mitchell. I'm not sure what role the coaching staff has in mind for him.
Abgrall had 23 goals and 23 assists in the BCHL last season.
NOTE: I don't say that to slight those two forwards in any way... it's just possible they might find more opportunities, minutes, and success with other programs — like Noah Prokop has with CC.
And... Coach Gabinet and Coach Noel-Bernier have proven an ability to find "diamonds in the rough" with players and make them work within their system.
But with 9 (possible) forwards available for next season — and only 2 (Weiss and Pivonka) leaving for sure — something has to give.
Among the freshmen forwards... Slipec, Fust, and Rollwagen are the three that left a solid impression with me. They will be back!
Current stats on forward recruits:
- Tanner Ludtke — 27 goals and 23 assists with Lincoln (USHL) ... 18 years old
- Liam Watkins — 26 goals and 41 assists with Spruce Grove (AJHL)... 18 years old
- Jacob Bonkowski — 25 goals and 26 assists with Surry (BCHL) ... 19 years old
- Ethan Whitcomb — 18 goals and 14 assists with Muskegon (USHL) ... 18 years old
- Myles Hilman — 17 goals and 6 assists with Waterloo (USHL) ... 19 years old
- Matthew Maltais — 12 goals and 24 assists with Alberni Valley (BCHL) ... 18 years old
- Alexi Van Houtte-Cachero — 11 goals and 21 assists with West Kelowna and Powell (BCHL) ... 19 years old
- Charlie Lurie — 11 goals and 13 assists with Omaha/Cedar Rapids (USHL) ... 20 years old
- Conner Schneider — 6 goals and 7 assists with Madison (USHL)/Surrey (BCHL) ... 19 years old
You have to figure Ludtke is a lock to come to Omaha next fall.
You could make the case that Watkins, Bonkowski and Whitcomb should come in to help boost point production on the roster.
You also look at the size of some of the forwards in the pipeline, and it looks like we're going to have some bigger/taller players up front in the coming years.
Extra COVID eligibility creates both opportunities and challenges for teams.
The goaltending situation is interesting...
The initial assumption is that Kucharski's replacement would be Raythan Robbins
(who was here earlier in the season when Kucharski's status was in doubt).
But a 3.94 GAA and a .886 SV% with Muskegon aren't the stats the coaching staff is likely looking for.
Yet... if they are looking at him as a mere backup, that might be alright.
Or, does recent goalie commit Jack Spicer
(who turns 19 on April 28) join the team.
Spicer has a 2.94 GAA and a .891 SV% with Waterloo (USHL).
It's always tough to tell with goalies... sometimes they'd rather wait to come in so they can maximize their opportunities in net.